So if you ask Emma, she thought she would never finally lose a tooth. Here she is almost through first grade and everyone else in her class has been losing teeth since Kindergarten! Well yesterday her lucky day finally arrived and I'm sure we won't forget it!! Her front tooth has been loose for several weeks and for the past couple days has felt loose enough to pull out. But if any of you have spent any time around Emma, you know she is not only a borderline hypochondriac but she typically refuses to cooperate when it comes alleviating her pain (real or pretend). I have many not-so-fond memories of begging, bribing, threatening and eventually physically forcing her to take whatever medicine she needs. I remember the infamous sleepness night of insanity at Jen's house trying to get Emma to take cough medicine (not one of my better parenting moments as Jen and Ryanne would attest to); and then there was the time that I finally got Emma to take her Penicillin only to watch her gag it down and then up again along with a just eaten Wendy's burger and fries - ARGH!!!
But I digress... back to the drama at hand. When I came to school yesterday to volunteer, Emma informed me that her tooth hurt so much and was so loose that she was having a hard time eating. I spent her lunch and recess time doing my best (in between bouts of tears) to remove her tooth. That darn thing just didn't want to come out! It was so loose, it was bending forward and back, but no luck.
We checked it out after school and that evening, but Emma was not willing to subject herself to the pain required to pull it out. She'd rather complain about the pain her swollen gums were in. Oh, and did I mention she made a trip to the nurse's office at school after I left? The nurse consoled her and called me, but the nurse couldn't/wouldn't pull it out. This tooth was beginning to be a pain for all of us!
That night, Jeremy and I talked to her and made several deals to convince her to let us get it out. One being that if I couldn't get it out, she'd let Dad pull it out, but she insisted that I try first. The second deal being that she and Dad would go get popsicles once it was out. I tried to get it, but I couldn't get a good pull because Emma kept moving at the first sign of pain. Then, of course, she wouldn't let Jer touch it. So - here's where the questionable parenting begins - we finally held her down and Jeremy gave the tooth a good flick of his finger and out it came!! Emma was hysterical and had worked herself into such a frenzy that she ended up puking into her hand and rushing to the toilet. Meanwhile Jeremy and I were trying to find the tooth, which at first Jeremy had thought she'd swallowed. I had seen it come out instead of in her mouth so I knew it was on the bed somewhere. Once we found the tooth, Emma came out of the bathroom her face covered in tears, puke and blood. It was disgusting and hilarious (yeah, I know bad parents) but we couldn't help joking with the now smiling and toothless Emma that she looked like a vampire just finishing dinner.
We cleaned Emma up and all the while she's concerned about asking Natalie to borrow her toothfairy pillow. So I guess we didn't inflict too much lasting pyschological damage. And yes, she and Dad made a trip to HEB to get popsicles! She was so happy the rest of the night that we told her we thought maybe we'd pulled out the tooth that makes her grumpy! In fact, all day today she's been happy and cooperative. Could this grumpy tooth theory be true? Or was it just because the Toothfairy left her $5.00?!
Christmas Day - 2015
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment