CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 28, 2010

What Not to do 4 days before your race...

So I was out for one last bike training session yesterday morning and, umm, it didn't go so well.
I thought I was being safer sticking to the sidewalks since I was riding during high traffic school drop-off time. While this theory DID help me to avoid all the cars, I wasn't so lucky avoiding the school kids! I was cycling passed a couple of boys who had started to move over for me. Unfortunately, I didn't slow down enough and the gap wasn't wide enough, sooo, my bike took a little detour onto the grassy edge of the sidewalk and then when I tried to correct myself and get back on the sidewalk, my tire got caught in the gap between the grass and the edge of the sidewalk. I had enough momentum going to jump the gap, but the control was gone and I took a beautiful spill on the sidewalk in front of the two boys. I completely landed on my right side. My leg took most of it, but I've got a nice raspberry on my shoulder too. I'm so glad I had on my bike gloves and my helmet because my hands would have been hamburger and my head would have had a bump to match the one on my knee. I was able to ride the couple miles back home, all while watching my knee swell up to make the biggest goose egg I've ever seen! Jeremy hadn't left for work yet when I got home and he helped clean me up. I am so glad he was there, because he did a much better job than I ever could have - still, that alcohol cleanse just about did me in!
Luckily, the bike took the crash much better than I did - no dents or major broken parts - just a few cosmetic scratches and bumps. Unfortunately, it's not my bike, ughh.
Twenty-two hours later I'm still hurtin' (well duh!) enough that I've given up trying to sleep any longer. You can only lay on one side for so long, and the Advil PM has totally worn off. So I thought I'd come sit mindlessly in front of my computer until it's time for the troops to get up for school.
My big concern right now is how do I race in my triathalon with a banged up leg? The wetsuit is gonna be a killer to get on and wear, but I'm not swimming in Town Lake without it! I think I'll have to slather on the vaseline for the bike and run to keep the scab from crusting over, but I'm taking suggestions on how to protect it overall.
Sue from our office saw me yesterday and has been following my training and preparation for this race over these past monthes. She's watched me suffer from spring allergies, sprang my toe, mess up my back and now cycle myself into the sidewalk - literally! She asked me yesterday if I ever considered that maybe someone or something was trying to tell me not to do this race. I considered it for 1/2 a second and said no. I set this goal for myself months ago and put in a lot of work training, learning to really swim and borrowing lots of gear to give this a go. I'm too close to let a scratched and bruised leg stop me now! Maybe it's determination, maybe it's insanity, but it's gonna get me to that finish line!!! Wish me luck... and pray hard!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Luann said...

Ouch! But I'm proud of you, Kell. I'm training for a tri too. It will be a sprint length race in September and it scares me to death, but I'm determined.

*Hugs*

Hannah said...

I am not training for a tri, but I am praying for you and also wincing as it looks so painful. Best of luck and wishes to you! You are amazing! Who would have thought when you two (you and Luann) were roommates that you would end up training for a tri at the same time in your mid-30's? Awesome.