Yep, I did it again - or maybe a better way to phrase it is that I DIDN'T do it... again! I have totally slacked off keeping up on the happenings of our fam. So here's my effort to catch up on the highlights of the last couple months.
Tri and Tri again?
As my last post stated, I was gearing up - and wiping out - for my first triathalon. I did complete the Capitol of Texas Triathalon on May 31st in downtown Austin, TX. I loved the race! I enjoyed it so much I knew even as I was crossing the finish line, that it wouldn't be my last race. I competed in the smallest distance the CapTexTri offered. It was a 400 meter swim, a 10k bike and a 5k run. I finished in 1:30:38. The event time break-down went like this: 14:43 swim; 27:19 bike; and 38:52 run. I was pleased with my results and especially happy that despite my sore leg and the 100+ heat running in downtown that I RAN (all be it very slowly) the entire 5k.
My mom came especially for my first race and took lots of pictures. I've posted most of them on Facebook, but I'll eventually get some posted on the blog too.
As I said earlier, this tri will not be my last. In fact, I've already committed to a sprint distance tri with my friend Christy on Labor Day. This tri will be a little more low-key, and a lot less expensive! Christy and I have mapped out our own routes and just she and I will be enjoying the swimming and scenery in Avery Ranch - Christy's neighborhood just south of my house. We're hoping for cooler weather and a few family supporters to provide "more cowbell" along the routes. We aren't exclusive though - if you're feeling the urge to join us, just show up!
Ahh, the Chime of Wedding Bells...
So just five short days after the triathalon (and finishing the school year), the girls and I hopped a plane for San Diego to join in the wedding festivities of my little bro Rob. He married an awesome chick with an awesome name: Kelley! She now is the 3rd "Kelly, -ie, -ey" in the Harmon family! Yes, family reunions are getting a little trickier!
We came about a week before the wedding so we had time to play in the fun and sun of San Diego. (Okay so the sun stayed hidden in the June gloom, but the temps were heavenly compared to the Texas summer scorchers!) Between all the wedding travel back and forth from San Diego, Thousand Oaks and Santa Barbara (where Kelley is from), we were also able to sneak in some beach time, Grandma Joyce time, a trip to the San Diego Zoo, the Mormon Battalion Museum and the San Diego Temple. Natalie was able to do her first temple baptisms/confirmations with her dad and Uncle Rob performing the ordinances - way cool! We were so happy when Jeremy flew out for a couple of days before the wedding. Besides the temple, he came with us to the zoo, and, of course the wedding.
The wedding and reception were beautiful. They were married in the Los Angeles Temple on Friday, June 11th and we had a luncheon at a nearby Mexican restaurant. The next day they had a reception in Santa Barbara. It was an outdoor reception at one of the local LDS church buildings. This church house was old school, so it had a beautiful, grassy parklike area perfect for an outdoor reception. The decorations were simple and stunning: yellow lemons and navy accented tables and receiving area. Kelley and Rob kept it classy and informal with croquet and bocci ball, as well as a wedding cake shaped pinata for the nieces and nephews. The buffet dinner was delicious too. My Grandma Joyce and I collaberated on our first chocolate fondant covered wedding cake. We learned a lot in the process (Grandma definately isn't fond of chocolate fondant), but in the end, Kelley and Rob said it was just the kind of cake they wanted. Hmm, guess I'll have to post a picture of the cake too.
Oh, and of course pictures from the whole vacation will make it up on the blog too.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Girls Camp We Go...
So after 10 fun-filled days of vacation, we rushed home to quickly unpack and then repack for my 3rd year as a church girls' camp leader. But the most exciting thing about this year was that Natalie got to come with me for her 1st year of camp!
We spent five days at a Scout camp located an hour northeast of Houston called Camp Bovay. As far as camping goes, this is a pretty nice place with lots of fun activities like archery, canoeing, a traverse wall, swimming pool with water slides and - of most importance - a large dining/activity hall with air conditioning! Texas summers are brutally hot and the girls did actually spend their days and nights at campgrounds in canvas tents. So coming inside the hall for meals, crafts, dancing, skits, etc. was heavenly. As a leader in charge of the media and technology (yes, camp does now include such craziness) I could stake a claim in one of the air conditioned cabins - well how else was I going to protect the expensive laptop and projector I was responsible for? ;-)
Natalie had a great time hanging out with her friends and trying all the activities. We did spend some time together, but we were usually heading in different directions during the days. I was glad for the time we spent getting our feet massaged together while sharing chocolate raisins and girl talk. We both agree that camp has some trying moments, but feeling the Spirit every day from study, service, testimonies and well, fun, far surpassed the unbearable heat and challenges of camping with a bunch of girls.
Well folks... that pretty much sums up our June. I think I'll stop here for now and catch up on July next week. My goal is to get the blog caught up before the kids go back to school on August 23rd. Wish me luck - I just got called to be the Stake YW secretary so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with my new responsibilities and the realization of all the meetings I'm going to be in now. BLECK!!! Although, I keep telling Jeremy, I have to do this - we need the blessings!!!
Christmas Day - 2015
10 years ago
1 comments:
What a busy summer! Thanks for taking the time to write about it. I love hearing about your life and your family. I can't believe Natalie is 12 already and going to camp and doing baptisms!! What great experiences she got to have this summer.
Well done, again, on the tri. I'm even more impressed that you want to do more. I cannot imagine training in that Texas heat. Hats off to you, Kell.
Stake YW Secretary isn't that rough. I've had the calling for three and a half years now. Granted, our stake only has about 30 young women ... Still, I have LOVED serving with such amazing women who are incredible examples and mentors to me. It's also great getting to know leaders and girls in other wards. There are more meetings, but it is not as time consuming as being a ward leader. It is an awesome calling, and you will be so good at it!
Post a Comment