CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 12, 2008

My Own "For Real" Christmas Miracle

(I apologize in advance for the length of my story and the confusion that keeping anonyminity makes in telling this story.)

So, like many right now, things have been a little tight for us financially. We've really battened down the hatches to try to ride out this financial downturn. We've cut back on everything from groceries to clothing. Our nights "out" have become nights "in", and we're looking for ways to spend more time and less money with our kids. So all in all, it has been stressful, but good for our family. No worries, please - we really are fine. This was a necessary preface to a great story.
Anyway, Natalie, our oldest, continues to grow and grow and grow! And being the oldest, there really aren't many hand-me-downs. I've put off for weeks buying her some winter clothes and instead have loaned her some of my shirts and an old jacket from my college days. She's taken all my slightly too large clothing with gratitude and no complaints! She is really understanding beyond her years. I finally did get her some pants and shirts this week, but really didn't feel like I could spring for a coat too. She quietly continued to wear my college jacket even though it was really several sizes too big and her friends had (affectionately) named her "Hobo Bob" when she'd wear the coat at school.
Yesterday morning I took Dani to see Santa at the library with a couple of my friends and their girls. While we were there waiting in line I was telling them about Natalie graciously wearing my hand-me-downs and how her friends had nicknamed her "Hobo Bob" because of her coat. I didn't think much about the conversation after it was over. I was just telling stories to pass the time.
Then that night I went to our Relief Society Enrichment Christmas Dinner. One of my friends from the library found me shortly after I'd arrived and handed me a jacket that she told me she didn't need anymore and would Natalie like it? I was so touched by her thoughtfulness and I was so grateful for her being so in tune with the Spirit to know I had been praying to Heavenly Father for some relief from these tight money times. I gave her a hug and said a most heartfelt thank you! Then I turned around and saw the other friend who had been with us at the library. I showed her the jacket for Natalie and expressed how thoughtful our friend had been. At the same time ANOTHER one of my friends overheard the conversation and jumped in saying with surprise: "You just got that for Natalie?! I got her a coat today too!" Apparently, my other friend had mentioned Natalie's situation to this friend and so she decided to just go out and buy a coat for Natalie. She planned on leaving it on my doorstep later that night as an anonymous gift for Natalie, but the surprise of another coat somewhat changed her surprise.
I was absolutely shocked!!! TWO coats!!! I was completely overcome and broke down during the opening prayer. Heavenly Father really was listening and answering my prayers! I was so full of gratitude and humility that it took me a few minutes to pull myself back together. I have the most wonderful, spiritually in tune, awesome friends in the whole world!!!!
This morning when Natalie awoke, her bleary eyes focused slowly on the coat and gift bag (the second coat - my friend did end up leaving it on my doorstep) on her bedroom floor. I watched and explained that a friend had given me the first coat last night and that when I got home the gift bag was on the doorstep with her name. She tried on the first coat and then her eyes about popped out of her head when she opened up the gift bag and realized she now had TWO coats!! I told her I thought she was a pretty lucky girl to have people this thoughtful looking out for her. And since she didn't know who had given her the gift bag (I didn't say that I knew the giver), the best way to say Thank You would be to look for someone in need and "Pay it Forward." She really liked that idea and I can tell it's put her in the Christmas spirit.
It has been a great day!! I'm sooooo grateful for inspired friends and a loving Heavenly Father. I hope (if you actually got through the entire reading of this story) that your heart has been as touched as mine with the goodness of this Christmas season. Miracles abound and the Lord answers prayer!!!

5 comments:

IronmanJen'sMom said...

What wonderful friends! That's what it's all about. love you guys!

Luann said...

Having once been a Relief Society Pres, I can tell you stories like this happen ALL THE TIME. It is so inspiring. Mostly they are done in secret anonymity, and no one but the giver and receiver ever know about it. I think it's awesome that you are sharing your story. We all need to hear accounts like this more often. Merry Christmas!

Hannah said...

Ah, I love you, Kell. I'm glad Someone's looking out for you ... and Natalie.

The 5 Happy Dayz said...

I love good friends! But they are only as good to you as you are to them! You must be pretty awesome! Love you Kel

Sandy said...

What a great story, Kelly! Love you!